Sunday, February 6, 2011

Just enough so you know it's there... not so much that it burns.

You may question the title a bit, but I promise it will all make sense (well as much sense as it can make) & probably make you smile by the time I’m done.

The back story…
The Rinse to-do list always runs long and it never all gets done.   A couple of years ago Damyn stepped in to help me cross some to-do’s (the every day kind of ones and those special project kind of ones) off of the Rinse list.

One of the on-going projects that he took on was updating our website.  Well, by updating I mean adding products to the site.  I’ll be the first to admit, I may not always have the time to write the descriptions for the products, so he does his best to fill in the blanks.

Back to the present…
I finally got to reworking the content on the website.  Believe it or not, we didn’t build www.rinsesoap.com for first time purchases.  It was launched for those loyal customers who had met me & tried the products & couldn’t wait to get more.

But really now, how impractical is that to have a website that is not even intended for a first time purchase.  Hence, the reworking the website on the to-do list.  I just wanted to beef up the descriptions, benefits & ingredient listings of the products.

So tonight I was perking up the Pucker Stick listings.  We went from our four traditional flavors to 11 flavors (not including the Pixie Pack) in less than 11 months.

It appears that Damyn copied & pasted the descriptions from one Pucker Stick to the next and of course changing all the pertinent information from stick to stick.  Right… Well he started by copying the description of the Peppermint Pucker Stick (which we all know has just enough Peppermint Essential Oil in it so you know it’s there… not so much that it burns.)  Do you see where I’m going with this?!?!  The problem is that he took out the fact that there was Peppermint Essential Oil in the descriptions (that’s because there is no Peppermint in the Mango Pucker Stick and so forth and so on.)  But what he didn’t remove was the rest of the description “Just enough so you know it's there... not so much that it burns…”

I was a bit upset at first.  I mean I don’t want anyone thinking our Pucker Sticks will set their lips on fire.  Then I couldn’t help but laugh a little that we have been so busy that I never even caught that we were threatening lip fires for months on-line… and no one ever said a word.

I learned a lot from “just enough so you know it's there... not so much that it burns…”  and will be combing through the website sooner than later putting out any other “lip fires” I may find.

No comments: